Saturday, January 3, 2009

Regarding Appropriate Public Behavior

In this new year, I have decided to take a more active role in Caledon society. Until now, I've been content to stroll about the beautiful sims, chat with my neighbours, attend the occasional ball, and spend my time with close friends.

However, I've felt for some months that the tone in Caledon is changing. And I'm hardly in a position to complain about this if all I do is sit in my skybox and putter about with prims. So I will be making an effort to attend more events and be a better neighbour.

Last night I was winding down from a lovely evening of dancing when a bit of a disagreement broke out in ISC. The gist of which comes down to "What is appropriate public behaviour in Caledon?"

Let me start my response to this question by saying I have never liked the idea of the aristocracy. To me, the inequity among classes was one of the least attractive aspects of the Victorian era. Titles have always had a sour taste for me. However, I agree the niceties are a part of the Caledon experience. I don't dwell on forms of address, but "Mr.", "Miss", or "Mrs." seem to be in order. I know there are more rules to be observed, but this minimal effort would be nice to see.

Of more concern for me is the vulgarity and rudeness I now regularly encounter in ISC and, occasionally, while attending events in Caledon. I don't feel it is ever acceptable to publicly use vulgarity or openly refer to one's sexual exploits in ISC. Not to say that a nice double entendre or innuendo is out of place. I guess I'm trying to distinguish here between the playful banter we all love and crass statements intended to shock and/or offend (Or made in ignorance of community standards).

As to action, I'm not sure there is much to be done beyond setting a good example. I understand wanting to speak out and uphold our high standards, but I worry about a few things. First, in publicly chastising those who step over the line, we cast ourselves as "Enforcers." I personally don't see that as an attractive option. Second, I have observed a sliding scale of tolerance when it comes to these social infractions. Those who are new or unknown are more frequently called out than those who have been around for the long haul. To whit - a certain, curmudgeonly, lord has frequently made shocking statements in ISC which are met with grins and snickers. The same words coming from a new citizen would be met with disapproval in the least.

Perhaps a tasteful IM to those we see as needing a nudge would be in order. As long as the standard is applied evenly to all. For my part, I'll make an effort to observe the rules of polite society and be a more active citizen.

I look forward to seeing you around Caledon.

1 comment:

  1. Edward Pearse has informed me he has been unable to post his comment to the blog. I'm am trying to track down the issue. In the meantime, if you are having trouble, please email me.

    Here is Mr. Pearse's reply:
    ---------------------------------------------------
    I don't think "titles" have really been an issue. They've been there and
    some people use them. It's been a very rare thing to see someone demand
    their title be used. That said, even the bare minimum of Mr or Miss seems
    too hard for some people.

    I hope as a fellow example setter that even if we are unable to encourage
    others to make the effort, we can at least show them what politeness should
    be.
    ----------------------------------------------------

    ReplyDelete